Fancy something with a kick? Try this recipe of oven-baked courgettes smothered with harissa! This comforting Spicy Hasselback courgette is perfect as a starter, mains or side dish. You can pimp it up by crumbling Feta over the courgettes, dry roasted pistachio nuts or fried chorizo. Let your inspiration go wild and create your twist.
Simple to prepare
When slicing the courgette, make sure you don’t cut it through to the bottom. So be careful! This simple and easy to prepare dish is perfect when you don’t have a lot of time to mess about in the kitchen. You can pop it into the oven and take your dogs for a walk or put up your feet and relax in the garden.
My favourite harissa paste
I have used white beans for the puree. They have a lovely mild flavour and are a perfect match with the Spicy Hasselback courgette. I like my food pretty hot so you can reduce the amount of Harissa if you prefer a milder taste. I used Le Phar Cap du Bon harissa, which is available from spice shops and Sous chef. Holidaying in France many years ago, I came across it, and it’s a staple in my kitchen.
This easy oven roasted courgette recipe is very easy to make. You can serve it as a main, starter or as a side dish.
You can pimp it up by crumbling feta over the top, dry roasted pistachio nuts or fried chorizo before serving. The recipe below is for two mains.
- 4 medium courgettes ( approx. 13 cm long)
- 2 tbsp harissa
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tin of white beans, drained
- juice of 1 lemon
- pinch of salt
- sprinkle of dukkah
- 2 teaspoons of coriander, chopped
- Heat up the oven 200C
- Make slices in the courgette. Make sure that you don’t cut through the courgettes
- Mix the harissa and olive oil
- Put the courgettes on a baking tray and brush 2/3 of the harissa oil over the top
- Cook for 30 minutes and take the courgettes out of the oven. Open the slices slightly with a knife. Brush the rest of the oil on the courgettes, making sure it goes into the cracks too.
- In the meantime, blend the white beans, a pinch of salt and the lemon juice in a blender until smooth. Cool down in the fridge.
- Pop them back into the oven for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the dukkah and coriander over the top
Keywords: courgettes, oven baked courgettes, harissa courgettes, courgette recipe, vegan courgette, vegetarian courgette