This perfect spicy passata gives your pizza a delicious kick. It is quick to make and full of flavour.
I often make a double batch so I can freeze it, and it will save me time next time I make pizzas or I use it for a spicy pasta dish. For an even bigger kick, add the spicy Italian sausage Nduja.
Head over to my easy pizza recipe and for inspiration for unusual toppings.Print
The perfect Spicy Passata
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 20
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: sauces
- Method: stove
- Cuisine: Italian cuisine
- Diet: Vegan
This spicy passata is perfect as a base for a pizza or for a vegan pasta dish. Add chorizo or Nduja and a handful of spinach, you’ll have the perfect pasta dish.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- A handful of basil, shredded
- Season with ground pepper and salt
- Tin of plum tomatoes
- Fry the red chilli and garlic for 2 minutes on a low heat in a pan.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and the basil and let it simmer for approx. 15 minutes, season with pepper and salt.
- Make it into a smooth sauce with a hand blender.
- Let it cool down for at least 1 hour if you want to use it for pizzas.
Keywords: sauce, pizza, tomato sauce recipe, passata, spicy passata, spice tomato sauce, pizza sauce